We all like to feel good about our smile. Teeth that are straight and bright give us a little more to be proud of. The problem is, these characteristics may be somewhat hard to come by for many of us. Advances in the field of cosmetic dentistry have made it easier to achieve desired changes faster. With our high standard of excellence, we provide our patients maximum return for years of beauty.
A chipped tooth can be a problem that requires immediate attention. Beyond the cosmetic problem–which most people don’t want to live with–there’s a potential for serious discomfort as well as health problems if a chipped tooth is left untreated.
But trying to decide on your chipped tooth treatment quickly can be a problem, too. Here’s some information to help you understand your options and choose the best one for you.
Dental bonding is a composite material made of a plastic matrix that has ceramic inclusions for strength. It starts out as a soft putty, but can be hardened using a light catalyst once it’s been properly shaped.
Pros of Dental Bonding:
- Dental bonding is inexpensive.
- It can also be applied in a single visit, allowing you to get your teeth fixed without returning to the dental office.
Cons of Dental Bonding:
- Dental bonding isn’t as attractive as other options.
- It’s also not as durable.
- It can wear away or break off as a result of normal wear.
- Dental bonding is also more susceptible to staining.
- Doesn’t protect the damaged tooth.
- May not conceal discoloration of chipped tooth.
A porcelain veneer is a thin facade of advanced ceramic that can be bonded to the front of a damaged tooth. After your tooth is prepared to receive the veneer, impressions are taken. Then the veneer is designed and all the information is sent to a dental lab where the veneer is crafted.
Pros of Porcelain Veneer:
- A very beautiful restoration.
- Can be virtually indistinguishable from a natural tooth.
- Very stain resistant.
- A veneer will conceal discoloration that can occur in a tooth after chipping.
- Veneers are a very conservative way to restore the proper form and function to a chipped or broken tooth.
Cons of Porcelain Veneer:
- Takes two visits two apply: one to prepare teeth and design the restoration, then another to place the veneer.
- More expensive than dental bonding.
Enjoy Long-lasting Enhancements with Porcelain Veneers
One of the many benefits of choosing porcelain veneers is that dental porcelain is strong and resistant to staining, allowing patients to enjoy their enhancements (or porcelain crowns) for many years. Porcelain veneers can also be cared for like natural teeth, making for simple hygiene routines.
Finally, veneers can now be made thinner than before, allowing the dentist to preserve more of your healthy tooth, while still applying veneers that will look both natural and beautiful!
A dental crown is like a sheath that fits over the visible portion of your tooth. It essentially provides your tooth with a completely new surface. Dental crowns are prepared using a similar two-step process to porcelain veneers.
Pros of Dental Crown:
- Very beautiful restoration.
- Blends in nicely with natural teeth, may even be indistinguishable.
Covers discoloration in traumatized tooth.
- Provides full protection for a damaged tooth.
Cons of Dental Crown:
- More expensive restoration.
- Requires two dental visits to place.
Which Is Best for You?
As you can see, all three tooth repair options are good. Each has its own benefits and drawbacks. Deciding which one is best in your situation requires a consultation with a dentist. Typically, you can choose which you prefer and get that one. The only exception is when the tooth has been so damaged that the tooth pulp is exposed to a risk of infection. In that situation, a dental crown is required, and, most likely a root canal.
If you need to repair a chipped tooth in the Ventura County area, please call 805-988-3320 today for an appointment with cosmetic dentist Dr. Saj Jivraj in Oxnard, CA.
ABOUT YOUR OXNARD, CA, DENTIST:
We look forward to providing families with exceptional care and advanced treatment options. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Jivraj contact our Oxnard, CA, dental office today by calling 805-988-3320. Our office welcomes patients in and around Oxnard, CA, including Santa Barbara, Woodland Hills, Ventura, and the surrounding Southern California communities.